Today, I’m sharing a classic Italian-American dinner idea that’s family-friendly and packed with a ton of flavor.
The following content may contain affiliate links. When you click and shop the links, we receive a commission at no cost to you.
A few years ago, on a random date night with my husband, we had dinner at a local Italian restaurant. I love, love, LOVE Italian food and have a tendency to stick to pastas or pizza, but on this night in particular, I was inspired to try something new.
I ordered Chicken Marsala and it’s been my go-to dish on Brio’s menu ever since! (If you have a Brio Italian Grille near you, I HIGHLY recommend it!). I just remember it being savory, creamy, and super satisfying, so I wanted to recreate it at home!
After doing some research and making several adjustments, I finally have a Chicken Marsala recipe that is restaurant quality!!!
My kids love it and I love that I get to enjoy this meal without waiting around for our next date night — I can’t wait for you to try it too!
Related: Pineapple Honey Barbecue Meatballs – Only 4 Ingredients!
What is Chicken Marsala?
Chicken Marsala is an Italian-American dish of chicken breasts or thighs and a creamy Marsala wine sauce.
I chose to use my 6-quart programmable slow cooker for this creamy Chicken Marsala recipe because I am a busy mom of four boys. Incorporating slow cooker meals on our rotating dinner menu makes getting food on the table a lot easier.
Related: How to Plan Family Meals On A Budget
Homemade Chicken Marsala Ingredients
Chicken Marsala is an expensive family meal that I keep on rotation! Here’s everything you will need:
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1-2 cups of sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup dry Marsala wine
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- spices: salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme, and paprika, to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish, optional
Marsala Wine: this is what gives it the classic flavor that you will love so much! If you can’t find dry or sweet Marsala wine, you can substitute it with dry white wine. Keep in mind that it may alter the flavor a bit.
Cornstarch: we will use cornstarch in this recipe to thicken up the sauce a bit. Without it, your Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala will turn out watery.
Heavy Whipping Cream: adding just a little will help to thicken the sauce also, nearly giving it a gravy-like consistency.
Olive Oil: you will use this to prep your chicken before placing it in your slow cooker.
Spices: I always season our food to taste and recommend you do the same!
Related: One Pan Creamy Sausage And Mushroom Bake
How to Make Chicken Marsala In A Slow Cooker
I’ve made this recipe browning and not browning the chicken before placing it in the slow cooker, the difference in flavor makes the extra 15 minutes of prep worth it!
- Start by heating olive oil in a pan. Then, in a large bowl, prepare chicken and season with spices to taste. You can use 1 tsp of each if you’re unsure about how much seasoning to use.
- Brown chicken breasts on both sides for about 3 minutes each.
- Spray a 6-quart slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray, then transfer chicken breast.
- Top chicken breast with minced garlic and mushrooms.
- Return to the pan, add Marsala wine and cook for 1 minute, scraping all the brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the Marsala wine mixture over the chicken and mushrooms.
- Cover with lid and set your slow cooker to LOW for 4 hours or HIGH for 2-3 hours, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken breast, set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch and water together, then add to the mushroom sauce inside the slow cooker.
- Whisk in heavy cream next, then return chicken breast to the slow cooker.
- Cover with lid and set slow cooker to high for 20 minutes, or until sauce bubbles and thickens.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve!
I always serve Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala over mashed potatoes with green beans. But you can also serve Chicken Marsala over rice or pasta, with any vegetable, and dinner rolls.
You can store Chicken Marsala leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days. Reheat it in a microwave-safe dish or in your slow cooker set to WARM when you’re ready to eat.
Be sure to tag me on Instagram or Facebook when you make this recipe! I would love to see your creation and give you a shoutout!
Share & Save On Pinterest!
Melanie01/06 at 12:02 PM
My husband sent me this link for the recipe, I’ll have to make it for him soon. It looks amazing
Danielle Skeaton01/12 at 2:03 AM
Girl, it’s soooo delicious! The ultimate comfort food 😋😋😋